Once upon a time, I was young and naive . . .

Like every good fairy tale with a beautiful princess (me) and an evil villain (the Devil), this story begins with a once upon a time.

Once upon a time, I was young and naive. I believed that, while there might be evil people in the world, I wouldn't run in to many of them. Then I met my current boss.

He wasn't even my boss when I met him. He had been lurking for some time in the underbrush at my employer, making other people's lives miserable. My co-workers would complain about him, telling outrageous stories about how difficult he was, what a control freak he could be, how he would make a simple meeting scheduled to last for thirty minutes into a half-day of mindless droning interspersed with fiery ranting. I would laugh and laugh. I thought: What whiners. What babies. He can't be that bad.

Then the ax fell on my wonderful, understanding, hardworking boss, and the Devil showed up, throwing away her potted plants and shredding anything that looked like it might complicate his job. Of course, he didn't really know how things worked, so he turned to me. He promised me pretty things, like a promotion and a raise, a title, an office, and my own secretary, if I could help him make sense of his new responsibilities. I was already in a weakened condition, because I missed my old boss. So I took his proferred apple, and became Eve, fallen from grace and ensnared by the Devil.

I've had 2500 days with the Devil. That's 26o work days a year, for 11+ years. For each year, subtract 1 actual sick day and 9 mental health days [110], three weeks of vacation [165], and 8 holidays (New Year's Day, Presidents' Day, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, Thanksgiving (2 days), and Christmas) [88], and you get 2500 days.

Of course, if this really were a fairy tale, there would be a tidy little ending where the Devil would get his comeuppance and I (or at least someone) would get to live happily ever after. I'm working on it, believe me. But in the meantime, misery loves company. So meet the Devil. You're gonna love working for him.

Friday, August 31, 2007

And the Academy Award Goes to . . .

It has been an interesting week down under. Last week, we had a truly ghastly meeting of the board of directors, after which I almost gave notice. Then I remembered all the mouths I have to feed and swallowed the bile of rage. The weekend brought a car accident (not my fault, I hasten to add). Then on Tuesday, I got an extremely lenghty e-mail from the Devil.

My usual e-mail behavior where the Devil is involved is to refill the coffee cup, make sure my meds are up to date, and then read each paragraph slowly to unravel its core element. Once all the core elements are gleaned, I recombine them and try to discern some meaningful patterns. Sometimes it works. More often, I'm left with only the most cursory sense of meaning. However, as the Devil likes to visit me to verbally deliver the same messages, it usually works out in the end.

So, with my cup of steaming coffee ready to go, I read Tuesday's e-mail. I have no idea what most of it said. One sentence, though, has branded itself on my memory:

I have been informed that, owing to my efforts on behalf of our industry and concomitant good works overall, I have been given the annual BLAHBY award for excellence by the [Blah] Association.


What? The first time I read this line, I had a visceral reaction. Everything in my body from the sternum down clenched. I read the sentence several more times. No, it didn't change into something like: I have been permanently drummed out of the [Blah] Association for permanently mangling the English language, not to mention my concomitant and obvious idiocy. He was getting the highest award that the association that represents our industry gives. This is his second major award from the association, and he is the only person in the last thirty years to win both awards.

My head has been swimming ever since. This Devil is a truly horrible person. NO ONE who has ever worked for him likes or respects him. How is it possible to be so well-respected by outsiders? Why can no one see through his bullshit? (Sorry, I don't normally swear, but I am absolutely gobsmacked by this award thing.)

So, all week, I have been listening to him on his telephone, taking congratulatory calls from all the sycophants who voted for him to win this award (it was unanimous, by the way). And the best part? Because he won, he has decided to spring for the costs necessary for his key managers (yes, I am one of them) to attend the awards ceremony in New York. I cannot wait. I'm just hoping I can make it through the evening without throwing up.

And if I do, the next envelope that is opened will be the one announcing my award, for best actress in a thankless job. I'm not sure how much longer I can take it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG -- THIS IS HILLARIOUS! I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THE REST OF THE 87,000 PARAGRAPHS ABOUT HOW IT WAS TOTALLY UNEXPECTED! WONDER WHY HE GOT THE AWARD? -- HE HAS A STAFF MEMBER WORKING HER BUTT OFF FOR WEEKS ON END PRODUCING STUFF THAT HE PROVIDES FREE OF CHARGE TO THE SOCIETY. HE BUYS THE DECISION MAKERS DRINKS AND GETS TOTALLY HAMMERED AT EVERY CONVENTION -- THEY THINK HE'S THE GREATEST!

Anonymous said...

OMG - I know this Guy!